17. Denman and Teakle Streets
The density and variety of the small cottages along both these streets help indicate the lifestyle of early workers. Proximity to Birkenhead shipyards and Port industry meant they could walk to work. An extension of Emes Street led directly to the railway line, providing easy access into Port Adelaide.
At the top of Denman Street, near Semaphore Road, was a Green Grocer in what is now a Sign Shop. Behind were six little wooden workers cottages that were demolished sometime around 1970.
Further down, the house at 17 Denman Street was built in the late 1880’s by a ship captain, who also built the house next door (at 15 Denman Street) for his servants. When the captain died, the house was given to the Salvation Army and it was rented out to two families, with a shared kitchen, during World War II. Halfway through the war, the house was sold to a single family, whose son still lives there today.
The building at 23 Denman Street, built around 1870, was at one time held by the Cooperative Society Limited, which lent money to build many homes in the area. Purchased by William Berry in 1890, it became a Grocer and Small Goods Store. Then in the 40’s, it operated as a Fodder Store, selling hay, bran and pollard. Converted to a residence in the 1950’s, it is now a Heritage Listed building.
At the far end of Denman Street was the corner Bakery, with Burn’s the Butcher across Harris Street. Around to Teakle Street, there was the Jamison Deli on the corner of Teakle and Harris Streets. The rest of Teakle Street was lined with small workers cottages.