3. The Maris Palais –
This nostalgic relic of balmier days was built in 1922 by the Fricker Brothers on a 21-year lease. It was comprised of a beach kiosk, bathing pavilion and large dance hall.
At ground level, the Bathing Pavilion provided lockers and showers, as well as the hire of bathing costumes, beach shelters, etc. The first floor housed the café, tearooms and dance hall.
A number of clubs met regularly at the Palais, and in later years the building was used by the Semaphore Surf Life Saving Club.
For many years, the reinforced concrete structure stood in derelict condition, but was renovated in the early 90’s, maintaining its distinctive 1920’s architecture and reopened as the The Semaphore Palais Hotel & Function Centre.