Mainstreet Associations bring together residents, traders and representatives of the local council, working in partnership to promote their local community by organising and supporting activities as well as sharing information and providing a voice for people living in the area.
Mainstreet Associations have historically achieved lasting benefits for the social, economic and physical environments in their regions. The Semaphore Mainstreet Association Committee consists of 9 volunteers representing both residents and traders. The Committee meets monthly, or as required, to develop and coordinate activities.
The 2021 committee is made up of:
- Gail Rogers, Chairperson
- Angela Steffan, Vice Chairperson
- Urszula Richards, Treasurer
- Ashley Tippins, Secretary
- Suzanne Drury
- Emmanuel Politis
- Laura Girling
- Paul Tippins
- Tracy Blamey
- Belinda Wallin
The overarching goal of the Semaphore Mainstreet Association is to promote Semaphore and the Semaphore Road retail precinct as a shopping and tourist destination.
Semaphore Mainstreet Association Inc and its first committee were formed at a public meeting in February 1994 as a non-profit organization with the following aims:
- To build on Semaphore’s unique heritage
- To foster business development
- To promote Semaphore through special events
- To cultivate a distinctive Semaphore identity
- To make Semaphore Road the heart of community celebrations
- To act upon ideas generated through community and business engagement
The current Mainstreet Association is focusing on several present and future goals:
- To Increase the profile for Semaphore Road and establish a brand identity for Semaphore
- To increase financial and human resources of the Mainstreet Association
- To attract more visitors and tourists to Semaphore
- To initiate or facilitate actions to encourage ‘best practice’ in small business in Semaphore
- To create and attract more special events year round
- To ensure community participation
Semaphore Road has a very bright future mirroring its bright historical past. Semaphore Road continues to be an increasingly unique and popular shopping and dining precinct within the metropolitan area of Adelaide. Nowhere else is there a boulevard with the combination of:
- a beach, jetty and family themed amusement park and playground at one end of the street and an historical harbour with residential and business redevelopment opportunities at the other;
- an historical heritage and streetscape;
- a people-friendly environment;
- a valued family-friendly ‘village’ ambience with local resident and visitor attractions and personalised service (even the provision of bowls of water for dogs!);
- a range of specialty, café, restaurant, food and service outlets;
- a local cinema, and;
- a strong sense of place and community ownership.
If you have any enquiries regarding the Semaphore Road shopping
strip or Semaphore in general please contact us by clicking here.