Odeon Star Cinema

< Back to the map

13. Odeon Star Cinema –

65 Semaphore Road

Odeon Star Cinema

Originally opened as the Wondergraph Picture Palace in 1920, a matinee was shown every Saturday – at the cost of three pence. In 1952, it became the Odeon Star. A victim of the trend away from cinemas, it closed in 1976.

In 1991, the Odeon reopened, and films triumphantly returned to the upper auditorium. The lower area became Hoffs Second-hand Emporium, until 1997, when the building was renovated and reopened as a fully functional cinema.